Saturday, February 20, 2010

Duty

Duty

Duty is what people use against you when they want something.

Duty is what keeps people doing the "important" things in life and keeps them from the things that really matter.

Duty is coercion that you can live with. It's easy to slight yourself for someone else as long as you were duty-bound to do it.

Duty gets people killed.

Duty breaks hearts and tramples love.

Duty is the only thing keeping our world together it seems.

What is your duty?

Is it to yourself? Your family? Your loved ones?

Is it to your country? Your dog? Complete strangers?

How do you choose a stranger over family?

How do you choose family over the love of your life?

How do you live with the choices you have to make?

How do I accept this and move on?




Eh... Not very poetic of me. Not angry or directed at people, but exploration of my mind and my emotions in regard to things that frustrate me.

The self is one of the highest values in life. If you don't take care of yourself, love yourself, be yourself, then who will? There is only one person in the world that can be you and no matter what you do, you will always be yourself.

Duty is to yourself first. Perhaps a backwards philosophy when you think of all of the people that have taken care of you, protected you and fed you throughout your life. Our society is quick to forget them, but how can we let them control us even still? They are beholden to someone in the same ways as well. Perhaps even beholden back to you if not now, but later.

This topic won't soon be done. There is too much human psychobabble here. Too much history and life revolves around this topic. Love, life, profession, everything there is to be done is touched upon by what compels us. Some of those things listed compel us themselves, but duty is the one that I focus on now. Turn your back on what you want and what you feel is right for duty. My duty is to the greatness of the human race. My duty is to myself. My duty is to my country and to my family. My duty is to the commitments and honor of my spoken and written word. My duty is to God. None of these by virtue are greater than the rest. All of them are important. All of them will at some point get "the finger" if they require me to do something that I'm not prepared to do. My God doesn't tell me to kill people and if he suddenly started, we'd have words, productive or not. My duty has limits. Duty is not the highest virtue we possess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home