Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Wow.

It's been 8 days since I last posted anything...

8 days... I'm trying to figure out if that's a long time, or a short time.

See, time has no meaning for me anymore. I'm not sure it exists. Well... Of course it still moves in a linear fashion, but I'm quite convinced that if I said I would be somewhere at a set time, it wouldn't happen. Unless maybe it was early in the morning, or late in the evening... Or you told me to be there. But be there of my own free will? I wouldn't bet my life on it.

So last night (love technicalities) we watched "The Island" and I liked the movie. It had some interesting points to bring up from a philosophical standpoint, but there wasn't as much science that was involved. I think that's the hardest thing for me in movies now... I can't seem to find one that just blows my freakin' socks off with its consistency and truth. Like, I know how they are supposed to be entertaining, but I ALWAYS get hooked up on some little tidbit of information. Like they blew something in a scene, or the physics (one of my biggest complaints always) wasn't quite right.

Knowledge ruins people. If you didn't know anything, you'd always be easily entertained. Ever since I took AP Physics and have been getting more knowledge on the way things work, the sciences, etc... I just don't seem to enjoy things all that much anymore.

But this movie was pretty good. Bang up job with the choice of actors/actresses. The big guy from Planet of the Apes and The Green Mile. Boromir. Ewen McGreggor. That new actress chick who's the star. (Never been super good with names, heh, but you all know who I'm talking about, or will). Very good roles, in my opinion.

But then I'm getting very worried about the present state of affairs of our entertainment industry. Like, why the hell are we so focused on war and fear? I know that we have the "War on Terror" running around in the background of our lives (some of us have to deal with it much more up front than I do), but we haven't had any happy-go-lucky films IN A LONG TIME that I can remember... I'd welcome you to point one out, because I'd love to watch it. Like I have seen the world, in one incarnation or another, be devestated, anhialated, blown up, crushed, subjugated or plain vaporised in various ways more times than I really care to think of lately.

It's really disturbing to me that we have such a morbid entertainment with fear lately. I mean, where are the comedies? Where are the "Hills are alive with the sound of music"? I know, that sounds like an odd thing to say, especially since I've never seen that movie, but I am seriously itching for a movie that doesn't have suspense, doesn't have murder or mystery or mayhem or destruction or lying or deceipt or... The list goes on.

I'm all up for a good horror flick, but to me it shouldn't be contingent on how many different ways the human body can be mutilated. It shouldn't be contingent on a mindless curse (for some reason born of water, or having water as its trademark) killing people because bad things happened in a previous life...

Our entertainment should REMOVE us from our lives. People are getting blown up for REALS out there, folks. The Londoners aren't even the latest victims. The sepperatists out of Spain have decided to have a go at it again. Bombings in the Middle East, again. And again, and again.

So why are we so entertained by watching that sort of death on TV? We don't need that. Especially not now. I'd much rather see some good, wholesome comedy than another world ending movie. Or another movie about people being lied to by "the man" or "big brother" or...

Is that really what you want to watch? You want to watch an alien menace come down and whipe the floors with us? You want to watch zombies anhialate the last bastians of mankind? You want to watch clones that have been lied to their entire lives who aren't even considered human beings? You want another conspiracy theory?

I thought we were about showing that we aren't afraid anymore. That "You won't get us running because we're not afraid of you. We're stronger then that."

...

Now with all that ringing in your ears (eyes?), ask yourself what the last comedy you saw was. What was it about? What was the last ORIGINAL comedy that you saw? How long ago was it made?

'Cause unless I'm missing something, I'm rather worried about what our "entertainment" says about our psyche.

2 Comments:

Blogger A_Shadow said...

Alright, you caught me.

I suppose I did go and see Bewitched.

But there was still a lot of torture in that one. If it wasn't the audience being tortured, it was that one guy...

Well, it wasn't that bad. But I suppose I will give that point to you.

I haven't seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yet, though. But he seems like a bigger jerk in this one (Willy). I suppose it's only because he'll be a jerk the whole time instead of just at the end or something...

7/17/2005 10:22:00 PM

 
Blogger vermilion said...

oh no eight whole days...

I think I've gone a few months before... Wait until I get in school again, I post regularly and whine that I haven't posted in three days.

7/18/2005 09:13:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home