Monday, August 15, 2005

Blasted.

I think this post might see the reoccurrance of the words "blast", "ed", "blasted" or any other form of the two (or their synonyms) that are concievable.

I.e.: I am blasted tired.

Today is one of, but not THE, longest days of my life. 8 hours, litterally, of watching (and more specifically listening) someone doing their job. But it's the easiest money I've ever made. Even if the jokes of insurrection did come up occasionally, we were mostly joking.

But today I got a taste of some of the complexities of corporate America. It's so refreshing and informing. Even though it's technically a call center, you aren't dealing with the average Joe consumer. The people I will be helping are other employees. Employees at Captital One, to be precise.

I find that refreshing because they are other professionals, which will cut way down the number of idiots you are likely to find. But they still exist. And you naturally get the angry person who's been on hold all morning. But I think it is in FAR less numbers then it would be at any of the other such companies I've applied for or heard of.

So today they weren't even ready for us. There were about twelve of us and the trainer was still coming out from Texas (the next nearest company installation) and they really didn't know what to do with us, so we wasted away to mass boredom for 8 hours. It was so bad that by the end of the day we were litterally counting the minutes, and when that time hit, we were out of our chairs like bullets. But this supervisor stopped us and demanded that we fill out some more paperwork (today we only filled out two things, and they had to wait until the end of the day for the last one??)

But this should be no tribble at all. It really seems like super easy work. No offense to those who may or may not be challenged by it. I really don't care if you are, that's great, if you aren't, I salute you (or something). But thus far the most complicated/time consuming part of MOST calls seems to be the programs that you use. You occasionally get the long one that you have to trouble shoot from multiple angles. But it's no big worry.

The only slight downer would be a piece of forebodding that I daren't utter. It's a somewhat credible rumor at this stage, and it could be a piece of corporate information that they might not want out. Wow, I know something important to the survival of a company (perhaps).

Neat.

Now to make up for my not writing out the "blasted"s that I warned you about, here are some:

Why in all of creation would a self respecting business close BEFORE SIX PM on MONDAY?

WFreakin'TF?

Ok, I kinda let the D.I. go because they are Mormon (but just BARELY. That BARELY gets the better of my religious tolerance, but I'll still complain, damnit!) But a PAWN shop? WTF??

Stupid state and its blasted stupid *grumbles some more*...

Tomorrow is another long day. But at least, in theory, we'll have something to occupy ourselves.

Until then.

Oh, yeah, on a side note, the neat-o thing is that they have an "XBox room" and a room with THE BEST foosball table I have ever played on (really well oiled, or graphite or something...) for break rooms. In case you cared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home