Tuesday, September 20, 2005

"Flightplan" of the brick wall.

Ok, so the wall doesn't have to be brick, but it definately made it more dramatic.

So I am up so late because I went to see a movie: "Flightplan" if you haven't caught on yet.

You are curious if it was good? Bet your bottom dollar. Seriously. This is the first movie in who knows how long that I found NOTHING to complain about. Zilch, nada, nein, zero... And so forth.

No joke, this was such a great movie, I recomend you see it in the theaters, straight up. It's a suspense sort of thing, too, and I never really saw it coming. Maybe I watched this one a bit differently, but I very much enjoyed it.

It takes place on a plane, how interesting can that be, right? But the way the plot unfolds leaves you asking yourself if the main character is insane. You would think that it would be easy to tell, right? But she KNOWS that something is true while EVERY PIECE OF EVIDENCE supports a completely opposite story. So now you have to figure out if she's insane (everyone else's take) or in the right (her take). It's so beautifully done, IMO. They seriously had me flipping between the two the entire movie. And having the actor who played Boromir as the plane's captain was not a shabby pick at all. It's really easy to identify with each of the main characters as well.

It really, really, was good.

On top of that, an answer of the day old question: "Would you rather be a wall or a glove?" Now I know that you're wondering "WTF?" And so was I, but I decided to take a momentary, random question and throw a decent curve ball right back. I decided to turn it into a philosophical thing like "Would you rather be a table or a chair?"

Whatever.

Give me my fun for a moment.

So here's the thing, I would rather be a wall. Now those of you that know me, know me well, and have known me for a while, will be "crap! Not again, do I have to hear this again?" but I'm running off with it, again, today always and forever. You obviously know that I'm a wall. You might even be able to explain to someone why that is. You might even get it right. But it has to do with what I envision myself as, (no, not really a wall) and some things that I try to mold myself after.

So: a wall is a protective feature. Walls are very handy. They are sturdy when built right (which will be an assumtion from now on). They stand firm against the ebbs and flows of nature, the wind, water, and even creatures find them impassable when working in tight unison. Walls stand firm and tall, you can use them for anything, face them in any direction. You can always count on a wall to be there, standing right where it should be. Some say that a wall is stubborn, but firmness can often be misconstrued for such. A wall doesn't move because there's no need to. They were built there for a reason, and just because the world shifts around them, that doesn't change their purpose.

Walls provide protection and shelter. You can always count on them to be there, and they don't complain when you leave them. They will stand just the same if there is 100 people sheltered from the wind and rain, or no people and it is sunny out. They are sturdy, now, tomorrow, three weeks from now and will be for a good time to come. You can count on them.

A glove on the other hand (no pun intended, honest) is an entirely different story.

A glove is maleable. It will shift to the whims of the wearer. A glove is a puppet, doing the bidding of it's master. A glove will morph and change to better suit the user, while a wall is as big as it needs to be, built with a purpose. A glove also has a purpose, to protect and be manipulated by the end user. There are all types of gloves, but they fit the same essential functions. They protect the user no matter what, no matter if they are pulling up some weeds, or carelessly handling acids. The glove is there only to sacrifice itself for the hand. The hand is there to manipulate the glove to it's will and purpose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a bit of a contrast that I'm seeing there, but by actually writing it out it allowed me to explore things a little bit. It allowed me to see the similarities a bit more easily...

Interesting...

I seriously believe that is where my gift of tolerance comes from. Man sees his neighbors faults and weaknesses, Nick from the Great Gatsby said that the eternal hope of man was that he could overlook his brother's shortcomings. Instead I find the similarities. It works better for me, but I often have trouble conveying those similarities to others around me... Hmm...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well today was take two of yesterday.

SSDD, but less so than yesterday.

Though the end once again made it look so much better. I will be tired tomorrow, but it will have been worth it.

Also, I got a half-hour of overtime by having someone help me stick it to a resolver, finally. It ended up infinately less cool then it was going to be, but so much cooler then sending it back to them.

Though I would like to see it become policy for us to be able to input "Read the frickin' work log before you even ponder sending this back to us" into it as a message before we send it off. But alas, the business kind of this world are so intertwined in respect and being proper. They fail to realize the kind subtletys that bluntness has to offer.

Somewhere over the course of human evolution we just seem to have forgotten the tactile pleasure of using a hammer.

Alas...

3 Comments:

Blogger vermilion said...

I'll have to check into that movie.

The 'Corpse Bride' is first when it comes to movie schedule for me.

------------------------

FP, you realize that this glove and wall idea completely derails the object lesson in church on Sunday right? Always a loophole, eh?

I know what you mean, and I mostly agree with you. But the wall and the glove are taken to another extreme.

Stick to your guns. It's important to hold yourself to your standards and beliefs in a world so easily washed away from even the lowest tides. I'm for self preservation and gratifing rewards of mental and spiritual endurance.

It is good to be still. But one must move to reach a higher plane. Sometimes you must go a little outside yourself to widen your many capabilities for good. It is important to be teachable, while reasonable and observant of self. Protect what is right, because you will face so much opposition with society obsessed with the end always justifying the means.

You can stay firm in the purpose to do good and deeply solidify that purpose while moving and progressing yourself. We would not need to move if we were perfect. Perfection is not reachable in this life but nonetheless aimiable.

And here's where I throw in a quote from Merry Brown: "Preconcieved notions are the locks on the doors to wisdom" There is a great need to move about and explore as this is a wide world and much is still to be understood.
-----------------
I liked that book, The Great Gatsby. This side of paradise is cool too.

9/21/2005 01:20:00 AM

 
Blogger A_Shadow said...

You can't honestly believe that I won't take something bizarre and hunt for a deeper meaning, can you?

I do that all of the time, just the ones that hit me really good need be shared aloud.

It's an interesting thing to explore, and I personally believe that God's not shallow, that there is much more depth to the world than we know. That's how I aim to walk with him, by uncovering the secrets that he's left for us. The oceans do not stop at the surface, there is unfathomable depths beneath, so why should the turbulence of everyday life stop with the ebbs and flows of its waters?

9/21/2005 04:26:00 PM

 
Blogger vermilion said...

Hehhe. I don't think you understand. It's an old game of ours. We used to devour every object lesson we learned in church to meaningless shreds.

But that wasn't the aim here.

9/21/2005 11:57:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home