Sunday, March 26, 2006

Today's Crisis: Global Warming.

Sure, sure, we've all heard the stories, we've read them, and we might have even seen the movie "The Day After Tomorrow", but what is really going on...?

I mean, seriously, you can't look around you and not see that the weather is screwy. I mean, it was 50-60 degrees yesterday, the sun went down, lighting came followed by snow.

Not the first time I've seen lightning before a snow storm, but that doesn't mean that's how it always happens.

But I haven't exactly held my skepticism quiet when it comes to global warming, either.

I think they have a big burden of proof. And the killer for me is that there isn't actually any way to stop it. The treaty of Kyoto isn't goint to stop it. The damage has been done. It really has. Kyoto just wants everyone to reduce their emissions to pre-1990 standards. While that would slow the changing events, I've seen studies that state that it takes thousands of years for Earth's built in carbon recycling to take effect.

What we really, really, would need then, is something that can REVERSE emissions.

Something that would act as a giant CO2 scrubber for all of the Earth. Terra-forming, that starts here. Science has long touted it as a way to make other planets Earth-like, but hell, if all of these scientists are to be believed, then we should really start it up here, first.

While I'm skeptical, I'm certainly not running amok driving an SUV that burns raw carbon. I'm not attacking those of you who might, but I certainly plan on buying something with lower emissions, if for no other reason than look at our cities, folks. On a hazy day, you're breathing that. On a clear day, you're still breathing that. If you drive a car with higher emissions, that's part of the impact right there, but as I said, lowering emissions is fine, but we need to find a way to reverse them, to stop this if it actually is going to go down like everyone seems to fear.

Unfortunately, I don't have the answers, but lets just say that if all of their projections are right (as they have reported them today: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/26/coverstory/index.html) then 2060 and the decades preceding and following it, are going to be very bad days for all of us.

I'm not super affraid, I'd like to think that I have more faith in that, but make no mistakes that we are in changing times, and it seems like the changes are right around the corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home