Thursday, February 10, 2005

On the awkwardness of freedom and the returning past.

Yeah, I don't know, maybe I'll keep my headline titles looking like essay titles. I should change the title of the blog to "The Wisdoms of a Rambler" or somesuch...

First of all, the rant, and then the news...

North Korea is at it again. It's a wonderful problem, solved only by something that will make things worse. On one hand, we could endure them to the ends of time, or until the citizens get around to removing communist power from their lands... But on the other, we could try annhialating their military might and just send them off like the Germans, Japanese, Iraqis and Afghanis (send them off meaning give them democracy and let them have fun with that new toy). The problem with the latter scenario is the threat of actual WMDs that not even Kofi Annon, the French, or our own Democrat brothers would dare deny. That problem is the fact that in all probability, they could devastate our beaches in California. As a joke, I would say let them, it's going to sink anyways, but in all reality if they could do that millions might die... I wonder what the world's reaction would be to that? Would they send international aid to us if we suddenly lost 300,000 sun-bathing Californians? Probably not. But arguably the reason it hasn't happened is: a) they can't, or b) they're afraid of backlash (there are a myriad of ways this could happen, and only a few of those involve Americans as the driving force).

I could put a lot of cynical twists and such on it, but we'll leave that sarcasm alone for now. My main point in all this is that they're doing it again. They've pulled out of multi-national peace talks because of "American aggression". Funny thing that, we just had two aircraft carriers in the region (if my count is accurate) and one of them is steaming for home... Obviously an aggressive move. But this isn't the first time they've done this. I've never actually read anything on it, but rumor has it that they did something like this before we were able to have an armistice to the Korean War. The story goes something like after six months about complaining about the table, they finally were able to sit and sign the treaty. That's it, more or less. So why should we be surprised now? It's just a sad thing that they only thing they can keep us at bay with are probable threats. We have a million U.S. soldiers on the DMZ. They have anywhere from 1-5 Nuclear Weapons with enough proposed range that they could hit the major cities on the West coast... Too bad we aren't more confident in our Patriot Missiles. We'd probably have hit them by now...

Anyways... On to the news:

I now have an apartment. Since last night about 8PM. I won't go into the details, too much, unless you want them. But I have two roommates and only briefly spoke with one... But I'm in. And today it was like a combat drop, because at noon Ross brought my desktop and two loads of food. That was cool. I should be alright for a little while, but I feel the need to at least MEET my roommates... I think they tried to last night when I was asleep, but for some reason I guess I was really tired, because I'm pretty sure the door opened, and that someone felt embarrassed, but it could have easily been a dream, too... But I'll be up late tonight, probably, so that should give me a chance to meet them. But the headline should be that I have a "pad" now.

Groovie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home