Tuesday, February 01, 2005

And it be recieved...

Well I'm a bit more awake than I was, and mostly because of someone that I hope will prove to be a friend, at least for a time. He's already made it onto a list that has all too few names, but it's nice to have someone like that again, someone whom not only knows their faith, but will talk about it.

Yeah, I'm at it again. Trying to understand the Mormon faith. With so many people in the state so sure that it's the right path, you can't help but look. And before you get all in my face and decide how anti-mormon I am, I'm going to make some mistakes that might offend you, but I am making the effort to understand your beliefs. That, I'm sure, counts for something.

Anyways, I interupted the poor guy to ask him what he had just walked out of. And it turned out to be one of Marisha's classes, which I had seen her anyways, and he realized that I was reading the Bible. My grandfather's uber miniature version. And it took off from there until minutes ago when he had to run to class lest he be late.

Anyways, he had a lot of good answers to some of my questions. Something that it's been months since I've had (good answers). And I agreed that after my study of the Bible I would read the Book of Mormon. He offered, and this will be the second that I've taken, but I haven't ever even read a scripture out of it until today (to my recollection anyways). But as opposed to the bulk of what I feel Mormons would do, I agreed to take it and read it. I approach my faith and knowledge building from both ends: mine and the one most contrary (which in a case between my system and the Mormon system... that only leaves the two ends). Anyways, I find it best to find and refine the points of each until you're looking at something that basically everyone can agree on. I don't find too much of that with my counterparts, but it's not necessarily a fault I hold against them, but one I don't intend to duplicate.

But I walked off with a smile, and we swapped numbers, I'm sure he'll be anxious to get me into some sort of events, but I attend those sparringly and with good motivations (like family and very close friends). Anyways, maybe I'll manage to bring up some more good points for him later. Like most, he had differences in perception of some things, but it was much the same as a few others that I've spoken with. It's more interesting to see what they have different and the same (those speaking to me), than what they are saying, sometimes...

4 Comments:

Blogger A_Shadow said...

Of course, but if we are meant to share the Lord's will and word then we need to be able to do so consistently, don't you think. I'm not talking everyone having the same story, but I've gotten some really wacky things out of talks like that before.

I still bring the absurdities up at times... It's funny to see the reactions of those that know, or think they know, what they're talking about.

2/02/2005 08:13:00 AM

 
Blogger vermilion said...

Very true, most do not know their own religion. Especially when you talk to those of our own age.

2/03/2005 12:09:00 PM

 
Blogger A_Shadow said...

The problem that I have with the "knowing the truth of it" comments is what it asserts. Everyone knows that the sky is blue. But everyone doesn't know what you think you know. I'm not asserting that Mormonism isn't true. But I am asserting that if it were true, people would have no problems switching their faiths and converting. I guess for me, there's only one real way to find out. I still battle myself with the fact that God exists, at times. I do believe in a higher power, but it could be that we personified that power when there wasn't a person. Time will tell. Of course I still pray, etc. But I can't seem to shake the thought that he's a lot different then we all seem to believe.

But I'd be hesitant to use labels of people not knowing their faith, in blanket tersm. At our day and age, young mormons are being called to missions all over the world. That's who I spoke to the other day, he's a returned missionary, and I was a bit impressed because he's one of the few that even tried to use the Bible in his statements. Except his statements were from the Bible. And he was able to answer almost all of my questions... I'm still kicking myself for not remembering the one that I tripped him up with...

2/04/2005 08:55:00 AM

 
Blogger A_Shadow said...

The problem with that is that if you are debating with someone like me, I don't recognize anything but the Bible as being the word of God. It's a bit obvious to use the Bible to prove the existence of God, as much as I could "prove" the theories of spontaneous generation from a biology text, and prove the theories of the Mormon faith by that of their own doctrines (those being the Doctrines and the Covenant and the Book of Mormon).

I have always maintained, like all other christians, that because God is perfect he needn't change. So being constant and all knowing, I believe that he would have reference in the Bible to these other doctrines that are so claimed. This guy is the first person to actually find something (second in that regard, but first to make it believeable) that would make me any more curious than to find out what so many people believe in and why. I still don't much find out about the "why" part...

2/05/2005 08:42:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home