Sunday, August 21, 2005

Rollercoaster.

There's just so much that happened since Friday. It's hard to keep track of it all exactly...

Friday was great until the last 20 minutes of work when we talked to our supervisor(s) and they decided to force a schedule on us. See, the trainer spent all week telling us that we would more than likely have a M-F work schedule, and that some of us would have to come in early, but most likely only a few of us (which is about the same tune that they sang in the interview). Then the Sups told us that unless we had hours restrictions listed on the application, we were SOL.

Right.

Bastards.

I'm mostly over it now. But do you know of a company that will even LOOK at your application if you don't have near full availability? Me either.

So I worked my first day on the floor today. It was great, actually. I got an extra dollar per hour today and we got some really, really, good experience in. I've pretty much got down the processes that don't require logins ('cause we bein' noobs don't get logins for two more weeks while they make them). So me and the other trainee that were there actually ended up being happy about it, because that gives us an edge on the others when they start tomorrow. Which will be hell. Today we got about 70 calls from 5AM to 2PM. Weekdays they average about 1200.

Yep, sounds like fun, eh?

Other than that, we went paintballing this weekend (a brief scare from my grandfather who was admitted into the hospital, but it turned out to be a false alarm. They thought he had internal bleeding). The Marines rocked the Weyland socks off. So cool. Though I got angry at my brother, father, and crew because they kept picking on our guys. But by the end of the day, less then half of my deaths were actually from the Weyland Utani. Seriously, most of my deaths were from engaging something way more indestructable then I am. 'Cause I'm cool like that. Three deaths from the tank (one when I was stuck in the open on the hill by myself and it ate me), one from an alien that I picked a fight with because he was in our LZ, and at least one from a predator that jumped my squad.

I had a blast, though almost not. When I was just about to go play Friday night, I screwed in the CO2 and the gun leaked like you wouldn't believe. When I cracked it open to look at it, I dropped two super critical parts, but did find the problem (lol). Apparently the owner of the gun pulled out two really important pieces of the firing mechanism, causing the gun to leak.

So after sweating it for about 2 hours trying to find the one piece that I KNEW was missing, I said screw it and waited until morning. In the morning Frank found it and we put the gun back together, only to find that there was another piece that I was missing. We found that one more quickly because it was brass and bigger (ok, ok, it was all Frank again. It was super cool). So we finally got the gun up and running and I got to go kill some Mercs. We call the Weyland guys that because they are mercenaries hired by Weyland Utani. Just FYI.

So by the end of the day I had completed three short term goals that I had set for each little section of the day: I got a 100%, no questions, confirmed kill. I watched the ball from my gun, break on him. I usually claim some others when I think, or feel, that I got the kill, but this one can't be disputed. Then I managed to survive for two insertion cycles (when the dead guys come back in to play every 20 mins) which is HUGE for me because I usually take the first hits in the fight. And then I made it all the way down to the other side of the field in a combat situation, a couple of times. It was awesome.

It was pretty funny too, because by the end of the day the General had hand picked me as one of his lieutenants. I was seriously in the dead zone with like 20 other guys and he came straight for me. So we went out on our mission, got eaten by a Predator, and went out again, lol. BTW, I might be pretty decent as a tactician, but I found that I'm a lousy field commander (or squad leader in this case) because I can't help but lead my men from the front. Which equates to me getting dead first 90% of the time and my squad being leaderless. Seriously, I can only think of one time that I have lead a squad into battle and I survived to the last man. It was the second attempt on a mission to flush out some aliens and me and one other guy survived and then got shot in the back (as well as our other squad members) by a SINGLE (as near as we can tell) Merc. It was hideous.

But we won anyways, that was awesome.

I need to post a song, because it's Sunday. But I'll have to settle with posting one that was sent to me by a friend. I was going to do both, but since I can't remember mine...:

Alanis Morissette - It's Never Quite Enough

Sometimes is never quite enough
If you're flawless, then you'll win my love
Don't forget to win first place
Don't forget to keep that smile on your face

Be a good boy
Try a little harder
You've got to measure up
And make me prouder

How long before you screw it up
How many times do I have to tell you to hurry up
With everything I do for you
The least you can do is keep quiet

Be a good girl
You've gotta try a little harder
That simply wasn't good enough
To make us proud

I'll live through you
I'll make you what I never was
If you're the best, then maybe so am I
Compared to him compared to her
I'm doing this for your own damn good
You'll make up for what I blew
What's the problem...why are you crying

Be a good boy
Push a little farther now
That wasn't fast enough
To make us happy
We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect

2 Comments:

Blogger vermilion said...

GOoooooooooood song. I have that cd and it brings so many things to mind.

8/22/2005 02:01:00 AM

 
Blogger A_Shadow said...

I will steal it from you next time I am over.

You have been warned.

8/22/2005 05:26:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home