Monday, September 11, 2006

Monday, Bloody Monday.

Where am I?

Wowsa, I can't believe that I almost missed this post...

Not that 9-11 was a Monday, it was a Tuesday, actually.

Do you remember that faithful day?

I know that I shant forget.

5 years and it's one of my most vivid memories of that year.

It will likely outlast the others.

Many of you may have heard the story I have told, some of you just reminisce on that fateful day.

It often comes up, and not related just to the anniversary.

What were we all doing?

Me? I was in school.

Honest to God, that was the first day that I missed the morning news in years.

Always up on the events before school.

I came in and there were already whisperings of the attacks.

Rediculous! we whispered for fear of the truth.

I knew then the ramifications of such an attack. I was a sophmore and I knew that the country would not sit and watch that, we would be at war.



Rediculous.

So much so that the class passed, dismissing the rumors.

In our arrogance, our safety, we couldn't be made to believe.

A fool.

I entered my Physics class, unknown to me that Mr. Summerhays knew all too well the news.

I smiled at him, the bright morning waking me up, and had the nerve to ask him to his sullen face 'Who died?'. I honestly don't remember saying that or not, but I did say something equally as rediculous.

At that moment, he just looked up to our little TV where I noticed, for the first and last time that year, that CNN was on it. How odd, this is Physics, not... Oh my God, those big buildings are on fire.

And here we are, reality.

We watched the aftermath of the collapsing towers.

They had fallen by the time school started, and it never really ever did start that day.

It ended when those towers fell.

Those of us with family, an entire country away, left for home to seek comfort in friends and family.

I stayed to see it with my history teacher.

I don't honestly remember anything beyond Physics. Just that the day continued and we argued for the next month about the degree of retribution we felt was needed and we could get away with.

Arguments of "let's nuke the bastards" to me on both ends of the spectrum.

The startling realizations that our world was still fragile and the surface of buildings I had never known, about a religion I had seldom heard of.

Then the changing of our world.

Simultaneously blocking the buildings' very existence from memory and record, and yet using it as the Alamo, remember 9-11. I'm sure that ordinance was delivered with that mantra.

Here we are, five years later.

Our unity is still greater than before the attacks, if not more polarised, unfortunate to see us fracture again so easily.

I have faith that we are doing as we must, no matter what the nay-sayers might bellow and sloganize to have us march to their drums. I see no alternative to what has come to pass.

We can play with fancy and ideology all we want, but the line was drawn for us. We are merely competing for survival now.

I fear a coming storm of more and more glut of war, but so does every generation believe that there's will be the last.

I doubt it.

Much the same as we thought India and Pakistan would end the world many years ago, something will give, someone will call the bluff, or it really will be the end.

I have faith.

1 Comments:

Blogger vermilion said...

I was also in my science class when I saw the footage. Crazy how that works.

I remember, more visually than anything. not so much footage of the attacks as peoples reactions. I remember laughing in my head at a cluebrained heartthrob of the class. "What planes being whacked into the towers" I thought she was being an idiot, but then when I got to class I understood it wasn't just her.

I didn't know what the hell was going on until the next day. I didnt even know we had twin towers or what their significance was. I wasn't so much on events then.

If anyone helped to explain it it was Mrs. Anderson, who became very grave and spelled the event out for us.

My favorite in school realizing what the hell is going on account was one of my friends. He was in his applied math class where he said everyone was famous for just doing nothing in, when his teacher watched the footage on his computer. He thought it was some stunt movie, thinking of the things he had downloaded during the week of skateboarders getting run over and stuff. "those are some pretty good effects there, what site is this who made it?" "it's real you idiot, it's happening right now."

I am more supportive of military action in Afganistan than I am of the current front in Iraq. The Iraqi war was launched on unsure foundations, without adequate evidence. while those in North Korea were pretty open about their nukes and disinterest in american affairs, if I remember correctly even torture involved in their regimes.

I can say that there are positive things coming out of this war.

I just can't say that I like how it was started. It becomes iffy when you are dealing with peoples still trapped in the stone ages.

There's a fighting chance we can be successful down there, leaving it with more fluency in the rights of that people and less political and religious compulsions and fanatisms.

Though as I've said many times before, all sides sloganize, and all sides have their laggers that can only sputter out the slogans and have nothing but display cases for their beliefs.

Besides Bush is famous for his slogans and lack of expansion on them, a cut and paste ordeal speech after speech. good thing he has Cheney who can translate and be more diplomatic. Thank god.

lol wow you're going to be up in three hours or so.

9/22/2006 03:52:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home