Thursday, May 12, 2005

Ray's Day.

Today was Ray's funeral. All the way out in Price.

I don't have a huge amount to say, many of you were there, only few weren't.

They gave typical last words. Things you might hear on the news, or read about. All of it true. He was a good guy, caring, funny, all of those things. I even got up to speak at one point, realising that if I didn't do it I would never get another chance. Realising that my own unique story and perspective would help aide in telling his story. As much heat as the fellow's drawn from me and my friends lately, I think it likened much to a Speaker for the Dead ceremony from the same book.

It's amazing sometimes how well you can know a situation. I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who can really do it. There was so much to learn, family and friends that I still don't know. Each with much the same views of the guy. At least he didn't turn out to be of the two-facedness that you hear and experience so much. He was genuine, real, and a wonderful person.

I got up to speak, as I mentioned, but missed making the point that I had really intended. I told the story, a bit, of how Ray got his name. Some who had heard it from others, and then from me, felt that I cleaned it up. I didn't. If you heard him called "The sore ass" instead of Thesaurus, that's just more of the play on words. In context it was just as I said it until we wrapped our punful little minds around it. But the point in telling how awestruck and honored I saw him was to point out that I felt he would be like that there. Most hit it on the nose thinking that he would crack a joke to lighten the mood. But I think he was there in that humble honor. We greatly honored his memory today, and his life. I think he would have loved it.

I saw and felt things as many did there. Things that when you talk about them are scoffed at. But during the ending portion of the sermon, the lights did flicker. Those who attended didn't feel lonely, or cold. They felt Ray. I'm sorry if you don't believe in that, that's your opinion and I do greatly respect it. Yes, at this point it very well could be my own superstitions. But a few of us had that same feeling, independant of prompting. So believe what you will.

I feel that he was there, I know that he was honored. And I think that he might even have cried there today.

To be honest, I am very glad I was there. And I'm very, very, sorry to those that couldn't attend who wished to. I didn't feel an overwhelming saddness by being there. I felt very much at peace.

As I said when I spoke in closing, it was a trap. Whatever that may be.

And I personally liked someone elses take on it. Paraphrased it was something like: "I don't think he's gone, I just think he's gone through that stargate thing to explore new worlds." The light at the end of the tunnel, I suppose. To morbid for some people, but I was very greatful for the experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home