Wednesday, June 21, 2006

"There'll be no one to stop us this time!"

UNLIMITED POWER!

Today the shell for my new computer came in.

Dark armor for the most lethal personal computer on the planet.

I did the math today, by the time I get it all finished, by the time I add a nice flatpanel LCD screen to it, it'll be about the same cost as my laptop.

For pity.

Ok, it might be just a bit more then the laptop, but sooooo! much more cost efficient that it's sick.

Pentium D 930 Dual Core Processor (think two Pentium 4 3.0GHz processors taped together, essentially two of my laptop's processor in one tight package as a CPU).

Up to 4 GB of RAM, double of what my laptop has.

It will have 1 TB of HD space. Why? Because I found a site doing a clearance of 500GB hard drives for $200. Two of them and bam, I have 1.46 TB of data.

Two CD/DVD burner combo drives.

A Video card (that costs about a fourth of the total price in all seriousness) with 1GB of RAM!!! 256 MB is rather standard now. 512 MB is hard to come by and expensive, 1GB is seriously the cutting edge. The motherboard could technically support two of these, but I think they would burn out even a 550 Watt power pack.

Integrated into the motherboard is a gigabit NIC card (think ethernet, but 10x as fast).

And for kicks and coolness: a front panel that is a built in thermometer/remote ignition system that will be coming tomorrow or the next day.

Most of the guts, I don't yet own, but it's been a fight today to keep from plopping down some money on my big meanie to pick it up.

The RAM, the HDs, CD/DVD drives and Video card alone are about $1400.

Talk about bragging rights.

I guess that coupled with about $90 for Windows XP 64, $40 or so for the thermometer, $270 for the motherboard/CPU and $130 for the case. We've just put in about as much as my laptop. The thing that will push it over the edge will be the monitor. But I have to do a good monitor to give it justice.

Unlike with my laptop, I have this bad boy's name picked out already.

I look forward to having him crush you :-).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home